A big thanks to my mother who recommended I call this recipe Tortellini Salad rather than “Pasta & Salad,” which what we usually refer to it as. Not too inventive calling it by its component parts, but whatever. The henceforth to be called Tortellini Salad is one of our standard midweek dinners as it takes less than 15 minutes to make, is relatively healthy and darned tasty.
- Fresh tortellini pasta – we use Giovanni Rana brand, our preferred kind is Gorgonzola & Walnuts but this recipe also goes well with the Pear & Cheese flavor.
- A bag of salad – we prefer straight up arugula for its peppery kick, but any mix of baby greens will do.
- Two medium sized tomatoes, chopped coarsely (again, don’t use Roma tomatoes for eating raw, they are for cooking!) or approx 6 cherry tomatoes per person.
- Olive oil – best quality, cold pressed.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt (Maldon if you’ve got it) and pepper
Cook the pasta according to instructions (the kind we use takes a whopping one minute) and drain. In two plates divide the salad mix and tomatoes, then divide the hot pasta over the top. The hot/cold works nicely! Dress salad with a bit of olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, to taste. That’s it, time to eat!
Servings: Two. 540 calories per serving.